Sunday, April 06, 2008

Cooper River Bridge 10K Recap

First of all, I am happy to say that I managed to keep the CRBR Streak alive... running my third race on the new bridge which opened back in 2006. Yahoo!

Let's chat for a second about how the race is a logistical nightmare.

1. Over 35,000 people run the race and Charleston ain't that big of a city
2. It is a point to point race
3. In between the points is a huge bridge and the only other way to get from point to point is to take a long 23 mile "workaround" aka highways
4. The bridge closes at 7 AM (one hour before race time) so you better get your butt there beforehand if you want to cross.

Long story short... it was my slowest time ever. I had not trained. I had not prepared. Part of me wished I had actually ran beforehand... but I did it! My time was 1 hour, 23 minutes. A pace of 13:30 for walking probably 70% of it. The good part is- I guess I have a fast walk?

So, the aftermath. I am really not sure but my left foot (the plantar fascia nightmare) hurts like hell. I am trying icing and rolling it over a frozen bottle of water. I would feel great otherwise!

Congrats to the other finishers! I wish I could have met up with you, David and Mendy :( Next time...next time... and we can all start in the sub-40 corral! I am glad you enjoyed some of the yummy food here in Charleston- Vickery's and Andolini's are awesome!

I am off to spend time with my family and will be out of pocket for a few days.

What's next? Who knows? Stay tuned...

7 comments:

Jess said...

It sounds like a logistical nightmare! At least you finished and you guys didn't kill one another. You should get some kind of relationship medal for that!

Chief Wahoo said...

Nice job getting back out there and keeping the streak alive!

Tiff stressed? I just can't imagine it...LOL!

David said...

I had no idea you were that tall. Mendy and I were wondering if we all walked by each other and didn't recognize due to race day looks (hair, make up, hats, sweat, etc).

Sounds like quite an adventure. We didn't have near that much drama, thankfully.

Jess said...

Glad you were able to keep the streak going despite all those horrible logistics!

Mendy said...

Gosh! What a disaster it seems like. We thought we weren't going to make it to the shuttle because we couldn't find a place to park downtown. We were past the 6:30 supposedly cutoff time to get on the shuttle and were worried about making it. Thankfully, they went later. I hate stressing before a race like that. Then I thought I was gonna have to carry my check-in bag cause I couldn't find where the drop was. Blah....

But, glad I did the race. It's really a nice run and the bridge wasn't that bad. I'm glad it all turned out good for you.

I really hope and pray your Grandpa will get better very soon! We will meet up very soon. David and I will be looking at our calendars to see when we're coming back down there. I miss it...

Tiffany said...

Hey guys! Yes, I am a tall gal who runs like a giraffe. Sorry I missed you, Mendy and David :( Come back! Move back!

Junie B said...

Interesting...my running coach actually WON this race in 31:13.. Sean Wade.

very cool indeed.