Sunday, October 07, 2007

I don't know what to say

Today was one of the worst experiences of my life. I ran my first marathon. I spent a good 20 minutes at the medical tent at mile 16, throwing up water, gatorade, Accelerade, GU, and anything else I had in my stomach. Temperatures were pushing 90 degrees with no refuge from the hot sun. Aid stations were out of water. It was miserable.

I got back on the road after covering 18 miles in a little over four hours... feeling like I could eek out another 8 sllllow miles.

Or not.

The race was stopped at that point by the medical director due to the heat and I had to walk back to Grant Park. They gave me a medal but I don't really feel like I deserve it. The sound of ambulances is still in my ears... people dropping like flies. Medical tent hoppin'.

I am so disappointed. Sad. Tired. Dehydrated. I have cried and cried- I just wanted to be given the chance to finish, even if I had a horrible time. 10,000 other people signed up did not even show.

I do not know how I feel.

6 comments:

Mendy said...

Oh Tiff! I'm so sorry... I looked at your bib + Jess, and 3 other friends I kenw were running it (I was supposed to run with), and I saw what it said about stopping the race at a certain point and hoped you all made it through.

I've been sitting at the house looking for your blog entry about it, and am glad you came online. I can imagine if I were in your shoes, I'd feel the same way - I just wish it was better temps - it would have been a different race for you and the others!

big ((hugs)) for you. I know you trained hard for it!!! such a bummer.

Arcane said...

Sorry to hear about your tough first marathon experience. I'm not a big fan of his, but as John the Penguin would say,
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

I'm sure that you went through more in 18 miles today then most marathons will go through in their lifetime. That medal is well deserved!

Arron said...

you earned the medal. you toed the line in conditions that were outrageous. mother nature and poor race planning by the organizers were against us. two things out of our control. rest up and feel better. nice job. later.

P.O.M. said...

That sounds les mis! I'm sorry your experienced sucked butt. I hope you don't give up.

Like Kanye says "That that don't kill you, will only make you stronger." And who can argue with Kanye?

P.O.M. said...

Oh - and P.S. you TOTALLY earned that medal!

brownie said...

Sheesh, heard about that on the news and hoped you had made it. Never seen something like that happen before.