Monday, October 08, 2007

Chicago: The Aftermath

Geez, it is hot in Atlanta. Almost as hot as Chicago in October.

I had to do that.

I have to laugh.

So, yesterday sucked. I spent A LOT of money on an 18 mile training run through crappy heat... although I did get more crowd support than I am used to on my training runs :)

I trained for months, ran hundreds of miles, came all the way to Chicago, and then got stopped from finishing. Perhaps it was not meant to be? Perhaps God was trying to teach me something as I was puking my guts out in front of medical guy Bill at the medical tent near mile 15 or 16. What that was... I don't know. Nice guy that Bill. If he was about 40 years younger and single... it could have been a match made in heaven... or in this case... hell.

Today is a new day.

I am sitting in a comfy reclining chair in the Atlanta Crown Room listening to Sirius satellite radio and debating my next move. Part of me wants to shoot for COMPLETING a marathon in the next couple months while my training base is built. Part of me wants to say "Screw it!" and just enjoy some fun local races and do the Kiawah Half on December 8th and possible Myrtle Beach Marathon in February. Part of me wants to do a switch-a-roo and change my Kiawah half to the full. Part of me just wants to drink beer and take up bowling.

What's a girl to do?

I am with all you other Chicago runners in heart and soul. Congrats to the awesome finishers!! (OK, the only ones coming to mind are Shore Turtle who kicked ass with a 4:13 finish... and Out of Shape Guy who is rocking NY in a couple weeks) The rest of us- thanks for the drinks last night. We should have just ditched that damn race and started at the bar.

13 comments:

Mendy said...

Yes, Yes! Do MB in Feb. David and I are doing the half there!!! Come join us!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for a while - I'm not sure how I originally came upon it, but I've enjoyed your posts leading up to Chicago. I'm from Austin, and we train in yesterday's Chicago-style horrid heat for several months out of the year and still ... many of the Austin runners either a)did not finish the race or b)ran way, way (way) off their normal times. There are lots of disappointed runners, but there wasn't anything you could do about the weather - I'm just sorry it was so frickin' horrible for everyone. I'd say ... enjoy a few days of R&R then pick another full and go for it in the next couple of months. There is an 8 week 'between marathons' training plan on the Hal site. You've put in a lot of training miles and personally, I would want to hold those miles accountable!!! Good luck, Tiff -

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your training run! I know you wrote it in jest, but it is a nice way to think about it. I hope you find a great half or full marathon and have a fabulous race next time. In the meantime, celebrate 18 hard earned miles...from the reports, I bet those 18 were tougher than any 26 you may ever run again.

Jess said...

God, it was awful, wasn't it? Good to meet you! Can't wait to hear what you decide.

David said...

Maybe you can talk Jess into coming up to do MB also! :-)

Glad you are okay, and I hate that your race ended up like that. It's a great learning experience that, although you didn't want it, you can use in the future for your own training and races, as well as those you can offer advice on.

Good job on getting as far as you did!

sunshine said...

Hey - glad to know you're okay. Looking forward to following your next marathon endeavor.

My Life said...

Drink beer and take up bowling!!! You're funny ;)

I am so sorry your first marathon experience turned into such a piss poor day. And while I don't envy your experience (puking at mile what, 18? not fun), I do envy the ever-lasting badge of toughness you now have for running at the 2007 Chicago marathon. That's something!

I say power on - sign up for the next closest marathon you can. You're ready and you deserve a better chance!

Iron Jayhawk said...

I'll join your bowling league.

We can call ourselves "Chicago Marathon Rejects."

It'll be awesome.

SAM said...

it's a huge fat ass suck of a situation.
You deserve the medal.
But do one that might let you finish anyway - show the race that you can kick it's butt.

Seriously - I could have cried for you. I've just signed up for my first ...

ShoreTurtle said...

Your post title is poetic. The aftermath... I love it.

It was great to meet you post race.

As I arrived at the airport this morning to fly home, I was irked that it was a little chilly with a slight breeze. Too little too late, Chicago.

Jamie said...

I hear ya! It was an overall sucky race. You don't have to make a decision right now about the next race (I'm not!). Take a week or two off then see how you feel.

Congrats on getting as far as you did especially after stopping at the medical tent! Way to go.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

So sad about the race on Sunday...but glad that you came thru without any major ill effects from it. Sounds like you have a great attitude towards the future as well...maybe that comes from hanging out with Jess for the weekend too....though I've only blogged with her she sounds like someone that can turn any bad experience into a rockin' party time....well maybe you both are capable of that. Glad you are back to the blog world!!

lifestudent said...

I occasionally get the same feeling ... give up and move onto something else. But I am not a bowler..maybe beer drinking and ping-pong?