Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Life is one big DETOUR

I love maps. I happened to look at the map last night to see how far San Francisco was from Sacramento....
Wait...
Is that NAPA in between those two cities?
NAPA.... as in... wine country?!?!

It is possible?

Could I possibly be passing through the land of lucious Chardonnays, bold Cabernets, and mouth-watering Merlots?

Well, it is about a 45 minute detour... would my travel mates be up for a little side jaunt through the beautiful northern California countryside?

You bet your ass they were!

I had one of the best days of my life today.... woke up early and worked out (10 miles on the bike and some elliptical), had a leisurely breakfast in San Francisco and a stroll around town (all before 9 AM!), lunch with some prospects, and an afternoon in wine country. The kind of day that makes me remember why I do what I do.... Some people plan their trips to Napa for MONTHS.... and I get to decide last minute that I want to go!

I think I've died and gone to heaven... I finally got to visit my favorite winery- Cakebread Cellars. Pick up a bottle of Cakebreak Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay if you get a chance. I arrived too late for their afternoon tasting and did not have an appointment. I pulled a little southern charm and the host graciously offered to pour me a taste of whatever I wanted! I chose the Cakebread Chardonnay Reserve and was not disappointed. How yummy!
We then hit up Peju, Alpha Omega (a new winery with a wonderful Cabernet, smooth as silk with their instant decanter), and my new favorite- Sequoia Grove. The guy at Sequoia Grove was so super cool- he took us to the back tasting room where I tasted my first wine straight from the barrel before it was bottled. Wow!



I left Napa with two bottles of wine to take home and great new knowledge and tips.

What a day!

5 comments:

aka Moogy said...

Awesome Tiffany! Am totally jealous. The closest I've been to Napa is the freakin auto parts store.

Catwoman said...

I heart wine. Next time you go up there try the Sonoma Valley and the Jarvis winery in particular.

Gagger said...

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day! So glad things worked out for you. I might have to order some wine with dinner now....

Moogy: your comment cracked me up!

Unknown said...

I love Cakebread Winery...I went there one last time before I moved to Tex-Ass not to worry I bought several bottles for my road trip;)

Tiffany said...

Ha ha ha Moogy!

Yep- I am sure happy I stocked up on some bottles. I loved learning more about the region and wine in general... although my head felt a little fuzzy the next day. Fun times!