Monday, January 08, 2007

The Myrtle Beach Marathon Relay!

In typical Tiffany Fashion, I procrastinated and did not sign up for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon in time before it closed. Truth be told, I was never really excited about running it so I think I subconsciously did not sign up in the hopes of it selling out and I could just do a local 8K race here in Charleston. Myrtle Beach is so skanky anyway.

However...being an insanely competitive individual, I started to feel like I lost for not signing up in time. I want to WIN! I sat in front of my laptop debating doing the full marathon just so I could satisfy my online shopping craving (sounds like we might need a support group for this after reading some other blogs!! I finally caught a glimmer of hope in the corner of my eye… a RELAY! I could do the marathon relay… I just needed to recruit 1-4 people to join my group.

I recruited the first person with no problem. My friend, Edi. She has run 9 marathons and was planning on doing the half anyway before I told her the damned thing sold out.

Sweet.

The relay exchange points are at 5, 10, 15, and 20 mile markers. She agreed to do the first 10 miles and I would finish up with 16.1. No problem, right? Ha! Funny how I just throw that out there when I have never run anymore than 13.1 in my life.

Then I recruit my second team member- Stephanie, a two time Boston Marathon finisher. She signs on to do just 5 miles, stating she is “out of shape” although she could go outside right now and totally kick all our butts. She is also a past hash regular with the Charlotte chapter. Today marks her return to running after taking the holidays off- she should be a regular on the Charleston racing circuit this year and I am hoping to talk her into doing Chicago with me in October.

Awesome! My mileage segment is now down to 11.1 miles!

Still waiting on a possible fourth relay member to pick up another 5 mile leg- I have agreed to keep my 11.1 miles and finish up! Now THIS is the way to run a marathon... get your friends to run the first 15 miles for you. Genius!

I am already dreaming up t-shirt designs....

4 comments:

MW said...

and when you buy the t-shirt designs, why not buy technical running shirts with your designs from our friend Amber (happy as mongoose)'s www.runningbanana.com ?!?!?

Tiffany said...

Do you get a kickback for this referral?? You must work in SALES, Wiley :)

Lulu said...

Please let me know when the support group is up and running. It needs to be A.S.A. - Alcoholic Shoppers Anonymous.

My 'outfit' should be delivered today. Although after a little more thought I am pretty sure it is wildly inappropriate for public viewing (I bought it for the Pub Run).

And I was gonna throw a shout out to Running Banana too - you need to go through them. They're the best (and great people too!).

Tiffany said...

Lulu, I will leave my laptop at home during the pub run... although it is very difficult for me to part with my Blackberry (w/internet access for online shopping yay!!!)

I am pretty pathetic with my BBerry...I wore a dress today and did not have anywhere to clip it so I clipped it to the top of my boot. CLASSY!!!