Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday Run!

First of all, congrats to all the ARA 20 milers today… you all totally kick ass! I can't wait to hear the race reports about how much you totally rocked it! La la la la…

I tabled my long weekend run until today due to my basketball comeback appearance yesterday and because I was experiencing first-hand why I should never drink sake again.

I looked at the weather reports last night for this morning- 65 degrees and RAIN (100% chance) Bleeech… I set my alarm for 6 AM with the high hopes of getting my miles in before the rain came. I felt like I was tossing and turning all night, having really strange dreams. I have finally pinpointed that this happens when I fall asleep with the TV on… usually with it on The Weather Channel, CNN Headline News, or Sportscenter. I need to figure out how the Sleep mode works on my TV. Digress….

Alarm goes off this morning. Snooze. Alarm. Snooze. Repeat about 27 times. I finally get up around 8:30 AM and look outside. Blue skies! (Cue me singing “Blue Skies” by Willie Nelson) Perfect. Those meteorologists are totally amateurs!!!

I get dressed and head out- it is pretty warm- I go with shorts and a tank top (white, by the way… this will be an important factoid later on in the story). I had decided to do just 9 miles today- realizing I still have 3 weeks til 3M.

I haven’t run in my neighborhood lately and I forgot how friendly and vocal people are when they see you are exercising. Most are walking at a snail’s pace with their dog(s) and either a) eating or b) talking on their cell phone. Several people along my route told me how great I was doing and they wish they could run too. It is funny how people just think I woke up one day and could run 13 miles. They always ask, “Well, isn’t running hard?!? I don’t think I could do it… I can barely run to end of my driveway without dying.” I try to tell them that when I started, I could not even jog half a mile without stopping and it takes time to work your way up. They usually turn their head at that time and mutter some other excuse. Oh well! I tried!

First five miles… the sky holds up but it looks like it is seriously clouding over. Suddenly, the sky falls. I debate- pack it in and head back? Or trek on? As if planned, “Eye of the Tiger” comes up on my MP3 shuffle. Da...da da da... da da daaaaaaaaa... I trek on!!! If Rocky can do it, so can I!

I am drenched.

I see a car pull up next to me. Someone shouts, “How much for an hour?” I look down and realize my shirt, which is pretty thin even when dry is completely soaked and I looked like I was trying out for the sorority wet t-shirt contest on college Spring Break '98 in Cancun (which of course is just speculation from what I heard, OK?) To make matters worse, the person yelling at me from the car was some dude I work with that I barely know. Weird.

Great. Now I am a running hooker. Before responding with my going hourly rate, I smile and wave and keep running… all the way to the 9 mile mark. Two big loops around my neighborhood. All in all, a pretty good run today. It was a nice change to run on my own… I sure like running with a group but it is great to have solo running time to think about things going on in life, at work, etc.

Weekly mileage- 24 miles… I am really happy with this. I am trying to step up my weekly mileage from my normal 15-20 mile weeks. Ba-bam!!

THREE WEEKS TIL 3M!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

MW said...

thanks for reminding me that I have to get out and run fast again in just 3 weeks.

Tiffany said...

Ooooooh Sr. Wiley... I hear you totally kicked ASS and took names out there today. No doubt you will be rarin' to go to rip up some 3M booty :)

brownie said...

I remember my first run, and I didn't make it a quarter mile...

Lulu said...

Running hookers are great! We may have to include South Congress on the Pub Run route so you can make some extra cash for all the beers you're gonna drink.

Tiffany said...

I'm in. I heard the East side is a good place to go too...

East siiiiiiiiiiide!!!