Saturday, January 13, 2007

5K Race Report- woohoo!!!

Last night was not my best example of pre-race preparation. Of course, my mantra was, “It’s just a 5K! I could do that in my sleep!” My friends even started the Tiffany Drinking Fund to raise the $28 I had spent by pre-registering for the race this morning. Drinking a baker’s dozen beers and eating a Wendy’s frosty for dinner was not my best plan.

Lo and behold- I ran the race.

By the grace of God, I just happened to wake up at 5:45 AM this morning after “forgetting” to set my alarm last night. I rolled over and cringed at the thought of running while hungover. I know, I know… I am a wimp.

I decided to just suck it up and ate the following for breakfast-

  • 1 piece of dry toast
  • 1 chocolate caffeinated GU
  • 1 huge coffee with a shot of Bailey’s
  • Orange Gatorade
  • 4 extra strength Advil

I get to the meeting spot where I was hooking up with my friends. I was feeling pretty good at this point. “Good morning! Good morning!” I could not stop yelling. My friends let me know there were several bets riding on my appearance at the race and completion (kinda like a parlay bet). I let them know, “I feel F’IN GREAT! Never felt better! Those Coronas sure hydrated me last night!”

I soon realized the parents with small children around me were suddenly moving away from me and putting the “earmuffs” on their kids. I guess I am a bad influence.

The weather could not have been more beautiful for running. Mid-50’s, sunny, blue skies, I am so lucky to live here!!

Thankfully, my friend Elizabeth was there and runs about my pace. She just started Bridge Run Boot Camp so I knew she would push me a little bit. We start off super-fast, running the first half mile at about an 8:00 min/mile pace, slowing down a little for the second half but finishing the first mile in 8:22. This is a lot faster than I normally run so I was pleased, especially considering the fact I was carrying a conversation the entire time with her and the middle-aged dude running alongside us. Nice folks.

Second mile we take a little slower… back to my normal 9ish min/mile pace. I have run a lot of 5Ks lately and know I normally reach a Tiffany Wall about 1.8 into a 5K. It is totally mental. I think it’s because I always go out too fast and I then realize I still have another 1.3 to go. I find it is easy to make excuses for yourself while running and to allow yourself to just do the same thing over and over. I mean- let’s think about it. It is easy to tell yourself, “OK, Tiff. You are doing good today. Let’s just slow down a bit, alright? No need to rush.” However, today I pushed through it and didn’t even acknowledge my normal routine. Perhaps it was because I had Elizabeth. Perhaps it was my increased training lately. Perhaps I was just hungover and knew the faster I ran- the faster I would be done. Oh well- who really cares? It was nice to get through it. Progress is always good.

I was running with my Garmin today like usual and noticed their 2 mile marker was 2/10 of a mile past my GPS reading. At that point, I knew the race was going to be a little longer so I couldn’t really expect to go by my normal 5K times.

Overall, I absolutely loved the course. It was nice having a change of scenery as most of the downtown races take the same route- all the way down Meeting Street, around Whitepoint Gardens, and back down East Bay. Today’s route was around the College of Charleston, around the Battery, by Colonial Lake (gorgeous!), and back down Ashley. I think I will incorporate this into my downtown routes.

Back to the race. I get to the 2.6 mile mark (according to Garmin) and Elizabeth starts complaining of a sore quad from speedwork last week. At that point, I let her go and pick up the pace- just under an 8:00 min/mile pace or so. I finished strong in 29:07 for a 3.32 mile course. It was a little disappointing to see that number when I crossed the finish line but I reminded myself it was a little longer. I surely would have broke 28 for the 5K distance and felt pretty damn good the whole way.

I thought about it later and realized I could have pushed myself more. I was able to hold a conversation with the folks around me and expended a lot of energy keeping Elizabeth pumped up. But when you think about it, races are meant to be not only contests, but also fun as well. It is nice to spend a couple miles with a friend you don't get to see that often. I guess you don’t always have to get out there and push yourself to the far limits! I also realized I need to be more consistent with my pace. My pace charts have definitely flattened out but there is still room for improvement.

It sure was a fun way to spend the morning! And I don’t feel as hungover anymore.

What’s up next? Well, a little manicure and pedicure time with the gals and some bachelorette fun tonight!!! Long run tomorrow- 11 miles. Think I will tackle the James Island Connector- our second largest hill in the lovely and fair city of Chaaaaaaaarleston.

Happy trails!

6 comments:

MW said...

Nicely done!

Lulu said...

Love how you started the day with a Baileys and Coffee - am looking forward to when you come to A-Town!!

Mike said...

Having a few inebriated races under my belt, my theory is that the inhibitions which are lost and cause the ohshitididwhats are the same inhibitions that keep us from pushing ourselves during a race.

This benefit can be severely offset by the fact that you are dehydrated and hungover, so my advice is try not to let it happen too often, but if it does, embrace it.

Much like the other things that happen when drunk...

Tiffany said...

Ostrich... your comments ring so true... I could not stop laughing when I read this!

Tiffany said...

Lulu... rumor on the street is that you are mapping out the AD pub run... any country line dancin' bars on the route for your South Carolinian friend? :)

Lulu said...

Unfortunately there will be no country bars - though Ostrich has been talking about his desire to go to South 40 some time soon. Maybe there can be a trip there while you are in town.