Saturday, December 09, 2006

Ta da!! My first half marathon is in the BAG!

Good news!! I am still alive!! :) The race went extremely well- although it was sooo cold (22 degrees at race start time- it is usually around 50-60 degrees so it was chilly!)

I finished in 2:18 which was 12 minutes off my 2:30 goal. I am very happy with the finish and look forward to cutting a couple minutes off my time at the 3M half in Austin. Not to mention the (pre) post-race margaritas and karaoke (did I make that up?)

A couple notes:

  • I am very competitive. I wanted to beat my VP after he beat me by one second at a 10K last month. I saw he was ahead of me by 4-5 minutes at the 6-7 mile turnaround point. I knew I could catch him as I saved myself for the second half of the race. I ended up catching up with him just after the 12 mile marker... passed him... and beat him by a couple minutes. Woohoooo- I rock.
  • The pain in my calves after finishing... damnnnnn
  • In typical Tiffany fashion, I did manage to zip my neck into my jacket beforehand and slip on a patch of ice before the race and bruise my knee. NOT the best way to kick off a 13.1 mile race!
  • My longest training run before the race was 8 miles. Miles 9-11 were not the prettiest. But as I pointed out to the guy running next to me at the 10 mile point- the remainder was like a 5K with a 10 mile warmup. Riiiiiiiight. I am always the optomist.
  • On a personal note- sports bra chaffing is not good. My boobs hurt. Maybe they are too big- ha ha hahaa....I put rubbing alcohol on them afterwards and have never felt pain like that in my life. Brutal. At least it took away from the pain in my legs. Sorry for the graphic visual- that is just the way it is right now, OK? Funny they did not offer to massage that area after the race. Hmmmm....
  • Now I am snuggled up in a blanket on my couch. I plan on sitting in this same spot for as many hours straight as possible. A little peppermint lotion on my feet and snuggly socks and I am all set.

I am too tired to come up with a poem about the race. Here is the quick summary:

Cold running

Boobs hurt

Drink beer afterwards

Snuggly blanket rocks.

9 comments:

Lulu said...

Congratulations Tiffany - sounds like you had an awesome race.

brownie said...

Great job! If you need your boobs massaged, I can help out. Since I'm so gay, that'll be allowed!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like a scam. Is it too late to buy a shirt for the bar crawl? I don't want to look like a l-l-l-loser although, clearly, that would never happen! :)

brownie said...

Not sure about the shirts, you can try to get one.

Tiffany said...

I'll just grab yours outside the dumpster. Remember, you can't hide class.

Did I mention how F'in sore I am? I am grabbing a beer out of the fridge. Does this signal a problem?

Better yet, I might pull out the Guaro (pure grain alcohol made from sugar cane) I brought home from Costa Rica.

My gals want me to hit the town tonight to celebrate... and I don't think I can disappoint. I should throw on my heels (ouch), finisher's medal, and a smile.

OK, now on to drinking and reading random people's blogs and eBay shopping.

Anonymous said...

Well done Tiff!!! Congrats!!

As for Margs post 3M... Consider it done. Had tequila shots, beer, champagne, appetizers and a hot tub ans freezing cold pool session with Banana, The-Jarvis_Girl, Katie_YourCruiseDirector, and RubberLegs (aka Ostrich) and we discussed taking you out for post race drinks on Sunday night. So don't plan for an 8am meeting on Monday, unless you're not interested???
We'll see if Lulu is allowed to join us. She's always good for some beer shotgunning. See her latest post.

Tiffany said...

Awesome, Mike! Count me in.... I was very impressed with Lulu's account of shotgunning beers. Rock on, chica!

Yes, I will be ready for some F-U-N Sunday... I just need to make sure I make it to Houston by Monday night- ha!

Anonymous said...

Perfect.
Once we get closer, we'll make sure we get your contact info and meet up.
You can meet up with us at our pre- and post- support tents too if you like.

Tiffany said...

Well, bless your heart. Aren't yall just the sweetest!!

FYI- I usually save that phrase for the burnout working the car rental desk to get an upgrade to a nicer car for free. SKILLLLLLLLZZZZ