Sunday, December 31, 2006

Pulling out the big guns for NYE... only the best for my friends :)

In the process of cleaning up my house this morning, I came across a couple bottles of alcohol that I forgot existed (is that a bad sign? I have liquor stashed in unknown places)

This is what I came across...


The two bottles to the left are what I brought back from Costa Rica. The bottle to the left is a bottle of yummy yummy yummy rum.

But the bottle in the middle.

Oh the bottle in the middle.

That is what we can guaro, which can be roughly translated as hootch. It is the cheapest liquor you can find in Costa Rica and is distilled from sugar cane. I remember long days at the swim up bar drinking some drink called a "Banana Bongie" made from guaro but cannot find any remnant of the recipe online. Memories... this is where I met the craziest Texans in the world drinking out of their Bubba Kegs (run... don't walk... to Walmart if you do not have a Bubba Keg) and I almost got kicked out of my scuba lesson for swimming over to the bar in full gear for a cocktail (peer pressure)

Here is the scene of the crime... I will be back there soon. Alberto will be waiting at the bar with a Bongie in hand.


My friends will loooove that guaro! :)

The last bottle on the right is a wedding favor from my cousin's wedding a couple years ago. I happened to be the one responsible for their meeting and was in the wedding and blah blah blah. She told me I have dwindling time remaining to drink the wine before it becomes as potent as the guaro... and before her divorce is finalized.

CHEERS!!!

6 comments:

JohnF said...

The bottle on the left brings back memories. In Costa Rica one night after a full day of riding, in the small village hotel 4 of us got drunk of 1.5 bottles of that rum, then after 3 hours sleep I got up and rode the mountain bike 30 miles.

I could not remember the name of the towns I stayed at the other day, but we rode from Playa Carillo to Montezuma with an overnight stop in between. Don't know if this was anyware near your Pacific coast resort, but It was too rural for that type of resort so I suspect not. GPS Route Map Link

MW said...

me duele la cabeza

Tiffany said...

¡Pobrecito, Miguel! ¿Cómo fue la fiesta de "Avestruz"? ¿La diversión y los tiempos silvestres? ¡Necesitamos detalles y retratos! :)

Tiffany said...

Hey John! Hope you had a nice New Year too! How was your Resolution Run? I saw it on your calendar... hope you did well! :)

Unfortunately (or fortunately), we did not break into the Anejo Especial last night.... I might bring it with me to Austin. It will make a good sippin' rum post-3M race.

I think I was a little north of your map in Costa Rica- near Guanacaste on the Papagayo Bay. We were pretty close to the Nicaraguan (Nico) border.

Pura vida, right? That might be my new phrase for 2007!!

JohnF said...

Didn't make the resolution 5K. Still sore from Saurday's run, so instead I met some others from my training group downtown for a 5 mile easy pace recovery run. First resolution of the year broken.

Tiffany said...

Easy pace recovery run? Sounds like a layover on the way to...Hangover City! :)