Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Believe it or not... a blog about running (imagine that)

So, I have been taking things fairly easy since my half... have done a few short runs and spent some QT on the elliptical machine. I am planning on jumping back into training for my next half starting NOW, beginning with Week 6 of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon (Intermediate) training plan. Yes, you are right... I do one half and suddenly propel myself out of the novice category.

So, after taking a hiatus from training for a little while to party down with the best of 'em, I am back to business.

First of all, I am a nerd. I admit it. Let's just get that out of the way.

I love to download my race routes from my Garmin to my computer and analyze my running. From my half marathon split times, I really fell off about the mile 9 mark. Prior to running the half, I had only run 8 miles. I know, I know... I lied to Hal Higdon and said I did that 10 mile run and 9 mile run but WHATEVER. Life got in the way. Well, it totally came to be during my half. I ran the first 6 miles with relative ease... ran a fast mile 7 and 8 (only because I had just seen my VP pass me and Outkast's "Bombs over Baghdad" came onto my MP3 player)... and in true form, I totally bombed out miles 9-11. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

So, today is the first day of starting training again.

I am still in Colorado for work so decided to run the Jack Quinn Tuesday night run (5K course)- and I must say, I really really enjoyed running on trails as opposed to all road. It definitely breaks up the monotony of the road. Too bad we are seriously lacking with trails to run in Charleston. Note to self- check on this.

Tonight I bundled up the best I could and took to the trail with Nascock (Kirk). I even toted my camera along for any impromptu picture opportunities. I soon realized the camera was a pain in my butt and put it in my pocket not thinking to zip up that packet (Amateur mistake). We are running along at a good pace and I stop to stretch my hamstring out and Nascock asked to take my picture (I could not stop laughing at the fact that I was wearing a headlamp/headlight thingy) and I realize the camera is GONE out of my pocket, case also including my driver's license, a wad of cash for post-run beer, hotel key, and camera. Oh yeah- and my lip gloss.

Shit.

We immediately start backtracking and shining our lights in to the brush to the side of the trail.

I start to get a grim feeling in my stomach. Without my license, how will I get on plane tomorrow? My new camera... gooooone... and I had not even downloaded my pics from London yet. I was just imagining some punk ass kid finding my camera case and feeling like he had won the jackpot.

Nascock and I keep running- more than a mile in reverse on the trail. Nothing.

We agree to split up and try to find it. He will run back to the bar where we started and see if someone turned it in. Meanwhile, I am cell phone-less, running this dark trail in freezing weather, trying to find a black camera case.

Yeah, great idea Tiff.

Long story short, I have been running for about 30 minutes since I left Nascock and I see a light in the distance. It is him! I pray he has good news. He has the case! Someone turned it in right after I dropped it and they had called him immediately. Apparently, he could not hear them and thought I was back at the bar when I was really roaming the trails alone in the dark. (Quit apologizing though)

So, by the end of the night... my Garmin read that I had run almost 6 miles total. Funny thing is, the altitude does not bother you as much when you are freaked out about something else :)
And the best part, you should see my Garmin race route from tonight- it looks like one of those Family Circus cartoons. Yeah- you know what I am talking about.

Holla and back on track,
Tiff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) from Malaysia

How is the weather over there. malaysia since from past 2 days. Vary bad.

http://lovemelaka.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

For the record, I still feel bad that left Tiff all alone on a jogging trail that is known for hooker pickk-ups.. (OK, so Its a differnt part of the trail, but I saw a cute blond on trail, I'da givven her $20 (Hey, it what she had in her case...)

The other part of the story is that when I thought Tiff went back to the bar and called me thayt they found the case, I ran back to the bar, got the case, and asked where Tiff was. "You mean you left her on trail?" I thought my buds were puling a prank on me and I left the bar again to run the trail to find Tiff...

Off in the distance, I see a bobbing head-lamp, indeed it was our very own Tiffany. We had a good training run that night and in the end, all is good...Someone came and picked us up, dropped us off at the bar, and the rest of the evening is up to my embeleshment. (which realy means, we had a couple of pints, some food, and I drove her back to her hotel, left her at the lobby, never to see her again...)

Anonymous said...

Obviously, I don't spell check

Tiffany said...

Thanks for being my chaperone :)