Sunday, December 24, 2006

5 weeks til Austin!

Today's run- the BRIDGE and back!

Miles- 7.05
Time- 1:10
Weather- a beeeeautiful 67 degrees with a light breeze
Tiff's Mood- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Today kicked ass. There is no other way to put it. Had I been running in a race, I would have run a 10K PR. I felt great the entire way, even up both of the hills when I managed to maintain between a 9 and 10 minute pace most of the way. If I was running the bridge run TODAY, I definitely would have run my goal of a sub-60 race!

My bridge running strategy is to start on the downtown side... I run through a slightly ghetto-esqe part of town (on the grass) and then hit the first hill around .75 miles into it. The first uphill (there are only 2, haha) is 2 miles long and pretty gradual. In the past, I use this hill as an excuse to run slower but today I kept my same pace and it worked out great. Get to the top and it is downhill on the Mount Pleasant side. I figured this is the best way to train because it puts me into running the steeper Mt. P side when I am 3 or 4 miles into the run and it is harder. I will probably do some repeats on the Mt. P side when I get closer to the race for fun too!

Most people start on the Mt. P side because the downtown side is a tad sketchier (I would never run from the downtown side at night in the dark- let's put it that way) and most are soccer moms pushing their double-wide strollers and totally pissing out the bikers. Read the signage on the ground, people!!!! Bikers have their own lane. I almost witnessed 2 wipeouts today- eeek!

I ran through a bit of Mt. Pleasant and then turned around to hit the steeper hill. Every time I run it, I feel like I get to know it better. There are parts of it steeper than others- overall it is about a mile long. Today did not help with the wind against me... but it is all downhill once you get to the top! I get to the top and see one of my co-workers walking with his family. He yells, "You are kicking ass, Tiff!!!!!!!!" and I felt pretty damn good. Yes, I was kicking ass. I was not wussing out like the rest of the people on the bridge that walk the uphills and run the downhills. Waiiit.... I think I used to do that :)

Another score for Tiffany against the Bridge.

Funny- when I got back to the downtown side- I ran into my friendly Shell station to grab a drink. They had a seasonal display of Yuengling right near the gatorade and I almost grabbed one :)

6 comments:

MW said...

Merry Christmas!

Congrats on the bridge run! I love runs that feel great. I need to have one soon... think it's been a good month since a real 'feel-gooder'.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Mike! Merry Christmas to you too.

Yeah- I have been waiting about 9 years for a good run. (I am a patient woman)

Oh, Mexico...
It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low
Moon's so bright like to light up the night
Make everything all right

MW said...

the moon was indeed out, and I saw orion's belt. Same belt he wears when i see him in texas.
weird.

Unknown said...

Can't believe you passed up Yuengling, wanker!

Tiffany said...

Yuengling... coming your way...

I had seven for breakfast this morning. Tastes good with cereal too.

Tiffany said...

Mike- I think I saw Orion's belt last night from the beach... or maybe those were just the stars in my eyes after I slipped on the boardwalk. I am starting to see a trend here...