Wednesday, August 30, 2006

When the morning run gets derailed….

Let me start by saying- I deserve a big gold star. I have gotten into the groove of running in the mornings (around 5:30-6:00 AM) to avoid the SC heat. For a night owl like me, this has been a slow and painful process. I normally would stay up until midnight or 1 AM just to make sure I did not miss any horrific reality MTV shows. It suddenly hit me one day that these shows are not really benefiting anyone, except give me material to talk about with my teenage cousins. Bummer!

So, the waking-up-early-and-running plan has worked beautifully… until now.

I decided to go out for a little post-work happy hour last night. After a couple (and by a couple, I mean six dozen) Coronas and a runner-up effort in the trivia contest (yes, I love useless knowledge), I found myself crawling into bed around 1:30 AM. Hmmm…. Did I set my alarm? Yes. Did I actually wake up? Not a chance. I totally would have gone if the world had not been against me and forced me to that happy hour last night.

And the best part? I feel MAD at myself… not because I was a total lush… but because I just feel better when I wake up and knock it out. I almost feel like taking to the parking lot here at work in my skirt and heels and getting at least 2 miles in.

No more excuses.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Have you tried running with the buzz? Sounds stupid, and it is, but it's good, healthy fun.

Here in Austin we go on monthly pub runs, where, you guessed it, we run between 3-4 bars. Nothing like a rita to loosen up the legs.

Is it just me, or are runners also good drinkers?

Just be sure to drink WATER.