Saturday, August 26, 2006

R-r-r-r-r-racing this morn!

So... I did my 5K this morning... in 31:45...not too bad for a race with a sore ankle. I mean, I was JUST off the course record! :) Of course, I am so happy I pulled myself out of bed for it. Nothing like that post-race high!

The funniest part was when an 80 year old man and I got into a sprint-out during the last 1/10 of a mile (OK, I let him beat me) and then I see him light up a cigarette right after the race. I just had to laugh at that one!

Couple quick observations about road races:

  • People that are going to walk/run intermittently should probably stay to the left. I always tripped over several people that would just randomly stop to walk mid-stride
  • I don't like to see from a faaaaar distance where I am running to. Today's race was ideal- the right amount of turns so you don't always see what is next. Bad example- the 4 miler I did a couple weeks ago on the beach. No turns, no twists. All you see in the distance are the mileage flags and finish line and they are too damn far away!
  • Don't throw your water cup BEHIND you- it hit me! Ha ha... although it felt pretty good... but I don't like random people's spit
  • I love when people are there to have fun and not take running too seriously. We are all out there to get in better shape and achieve some sort of goal. I love the camraderie!

Looks like my next race is 9/23- another 5K. Unfortunately (but fortunately), I will miss 2 great road races (10Ks) while vacating in the Caribbean in September and October. Can't wait for it to cool off a little bit too!

Well, that is all for now. Cheers to you!

1 comment:

Mike said...

There is a name for the walkers/slow people at the front of the start line: idiots.

A lot of people just don't understand, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but if you are really racing the thing it can be frustrating.

And, keep in mind that once you finish this 1/2 marathon you WILL be running a full marathon the following year.

Right on.