Saturday, September 01, 2007

Holy crap... I ran 20 miles this morning!

Well, I feel like I cleared a physical and mental hurtle in my Chicago Marathon training. I ran 20 freakin' miles... in the pouring rain. Luckily, I had 3 running partners (one of them is my boss too) who kept the time rolling with funny stories, debates, and the Kevin Bacon game.

Geez it feels good to accomplish this. I have to agree with Jess about how it feels good to reach this point and just soak it all in. It finally is hitting home that I am really running the marathon in 5 weeks and that I CAN do it. I WILL do it.

The alarm going off at 4:00 AM this morning was an unwelcome sound. I could hear the rain pouring outside and could see brief flashes of lightning. The funny thing is... I did not even consider crawling back into bed. I was DOING this run.

I usually do not eat before a run but decided to eat some peanut butter toast and a banana. BLAH! I could taste the peanut butter in my mouth as I constantly burped it up until mile 10.

Yuck.

I met my running partners and we were off... long before the sun even came up. The first couple miles were easy- I do not look at my Garmin as much when I run in the dark. I felt strong through mile 16 when I started to feel like I was falling apart a bit. I lost one of my clip-on bottles on my hydration belt... my legs started to really, really hurt... I felt like I was being tested. I kept trucking along- not talking as much and just concentrating on breathing and getting through it. Before I knew it- mile 20!

Post-run... I am really, really SORE. I also have some chafing issues from running 20 miles in soaking wet clothing, despite the BodyGlide I slathered on. I am tired, a little dehydrated, and just want to chill.

I feel good though... oh I feel good. I just ran 20 miles :)

11 comments:

ShoreTurtle said...

Great job! 20 miles is always an accomplishment, but 20 miles in the rain is hard core.

Unknown said...

So glad you had a great run!!! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 20 miler. I'm right there with you and aiming for Chicago.

Keep up the great work. Oct 7 will be here soon!

Marcy said...

Go Tiff Go Tiff!!! You treat yourself to a little shopping after? I hope so ;-)

Tiffany said...

Girl... I've been sitting on my couch online shopping up a storm at Red Envelope, Macy's.com, Running Warehouse, Target.com, Runningskirts.com... YAYYAYAYYAYAAA shopping! Too bad I will be out of town when all the boxes appear :)

Jess said...

I'm still sore -- 2 days later! And yeah, I had some chafing issues as well. My clothes, especially my sports bra, were literally sopping wet -- no wonder I chafed, despite Body Glide.

Congrats on getting your 20 done! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

MW said...

nicely done!
New distance PR's are always fun!
Don't you just love running in the rain?!

L*I*S*A said...

It's a huge milestone to accomplish 20 miles. Welcome, and the party has just gotten started! :) See you in Chicago...

Anonymous said...

Great run Tiff. I got my 20 in on Saturday. Fortunately no rain in the Chicago burbs. Couple thoughts:
- some chaffing is inevitable it sux but...but...but it just sux. I had to use some Gold Bond and felt like an old geeser (which I am not)
- on the burnout at 16 feeling...you doing any kind of gel's or energy fuel?
- you doing any kind of run/walk?

GRATS ON YOUR RUN! I don't even know you, but I like your blogs and I am pulling for you! If you nailed 20 in the rain, you got this thing. Keep it up.

Mendy said...

Yahhhhhh!!!!! Tiff!!!! soooo very happy for you! You deserve to sit around and shop after your 20 miler. What an accomplishment! I'm so very happy for you and for Jess! You gals are gonna rock Chicago.

Arron said...

fantastic run. my 20 miler is set for the 16th and i am starting to get nervous. add in some recent crappy runs and my running brain is freakin out!! :)