Sunday, September 30, 2007

Are we there yet?

8 miler went well this morning- I test ran a new sports bra and some new socks. Yes to the bra, NO to the socks!

I did a lot of thinking on this morning's run... I actually started to think about how I would feel on race day and some of the logistics of what to pack, what I would wear during the race (I have finally decided to wear my hydration belt with no bottles but with several pouches that hold my GU, little baggies of Accelerade, lip gloss, money, etc. You know... the important stuff. I struggled with whether or not I would wear the belt and just try to stuff things in my pockets and finally decided to just have everything I think I might need on my person. My past career as an All Star Girl Scout makes me think I should always be prepared. Plus, training with the Accelerade has really helped me so I decided I would do the same thing on race day.

What is everyone else doing? Just using the aid stations? Wearing your belt?

I would love to meet up with some of yall other Chicago'ers Sunday night for a celebratory drink. We have dinner reservations at 7:45 PM but I intend to hit the bar beforehand for a couple cocktails and might even make it out after dinner for a nightcap (or 12) depending on my physical state.

I am starting to get really pumped. I am just gonna soak up the entire weekend and enjoy myself in the process. Marathon weekend in Chicago is shaping up to be an awesome one and I intend to live it up!!!

6 comments:

Tri+Umph said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog!

My game plan for the race is just to pin a few Gu's to the inside of the pocket in my shorts. I use a safety pin and pin the part that gets torn off anyways, it worked great in training!

Best of luck to you!

ShoreTurtle said...

I'm wearing a hydration belt (even though it's not needed with all the water stops). It worked well for me last year at the Philly marathon so I'm sticking with the same plan.

You should go to the running blogger meetup at Garrett Ripley Sunday night. It should be fun!

Margo said...

I'm wearing a hydration belt with maybe only a couple of bottles. Carrying my shot blocks and other race day necessities! Also planning on going to the blogger meetup Sunday night at Garrett Ripley.

MW said...

I have a GU belt that I will use. It doesn't hold water bottles.
I safety pin the belt onto my shorts in 4 spots to ensure it doesn't bounce around, or creep up and chafe.
It will also have a few tiny ziplock baggies with Thermolytes I'm taking every hour as my electrolyte intake.
Only old proven shirts, shorts and socks on me. Nothing thath hasn't withstood the test of many runs and been softened by the washing machine. Especially the socks!
Pleanty of bodyglide on nipples and a few problem toes.
Good luck in Chicago!

Looks like we could be in for some rain, if so, the cap comes out too. But an old one, I can toss if I get tired of wearing it.)

MW said...

oh yeah, one more thing...
I will also carry a small water bottle for the first few miles, so I don't have to deal with the first few waterstops as they tend to be traffic jams.

P.O.M. said...

I am running Long Beach the week after your Chicago. (My first!) I think I am doing the belt. I've trained with it and I really like to hold stuff. What if they run out of something? And I use the Clif Bloks which take up a lot of space. So belt it is. Plus, you can always toss it if you change your mind while running.

Good luck!!!