Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Looking back...

I took some time this morning to reflect on the past year. Running has been one of the only constants through thousands of miles of travel all over the globe, hectic work schedules, and other assorted personal and professional challenges.

Tomorrow marks the official registration kickoff for the Kiawah Half Marathon which will inevitably sell out in about 5 days. I signed up last year in an effort to get into shape and take on that seemingly un-doable task of 13.1 miles.... and ended up hooked. I am running it again this year and have challenged about 20 of my coworkers to join me. I even provided them with the Hal Higdon Novice training plan that I had used. Several have agreed to sign on... others are wavering. I am excited to ignite some motivation in my coworkers and I greedily am looking for more running partners, especially when we are on the road traveling together!

My fall race schedule is really focused around the Chicago Marathon. The summer race schedule in good ole' hot Charleston, SC is fairly nonexistent... hence the fact I have not run a race since April. There are a couple 5Ks coming up within the next two months but I think I will hold off. I am participating in a 208 mile relay race through the Blue Ridge Mountains in early September with a group of coworkers- should be awesome! Post-Chicago brings a possible half marathon in November, a 10 miler the next weekend?, and Kiawah Half in December. I am hoping to also sprinkle in a couple 5Ks and 10Ks and decide then how I feel about committing to a big spring race.

Happy trails, indeed!

5 comments:

David said...

Hey, we have races up this way. Come on up to G'ville and run. Or just hang out and drink margritas or mojitos.

Congrats on being an aunt, the big fish, surviving vacation, and the efforts to exercise corporate America!

brownie said...

Hey, I saw a Cooper Bridge Run t-shirt at Barracuda Bob's on Sunday! Old school too, it was from several years ago.

Tiffany said...

Very cool... Bridge Run Luv across the USA...

OK I had tooooo many glasses of da vino tonight HOLLLLLLLLLA

Mendy said...

Like David said - there's the G'ville half/full at end of Oct. I'm doing it, (I think), and David will probably do it too. I thought about Kiawah full, but I don't know. 1 may be enough... then again there's the half too - hmmm... the only thing is getting a room too close to race, which is when I'd sign up.

Sounds like ya got a good plan!

Tiffany said...

DO THE KIAWAH HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might do the Greenville half as well... hmmm...