Friday, June 29, 2007

Feeling great!

Starting to feel a little more grounded after being home for at least a day this week. Went running last night and did a quick and easy 4.5 miles (OK, maybe easy.,... quick is relative) and got a lot of things worked out in my head. I was all over the map yesterday with my thoughts and emotions so it helped to think it through and gain a little bit of clarity. I love running!

Tomorrow is a long run (10 miles) with 2 of my workers and boss who are also training for Chicago. I am getting it out of the way early and then meeting someone for brunch at my most favorite place in all of Charleston. Yes, another date. This whole dating thing is very tiring but I am accepting all setups from my friends and family and chalking it up to a social experiment. Perhaps I should start a new blog to outline the weird things these people say and do, such as a guy last week that retorted when I said I was training for a marathon to say, “Like that’s hard! I’ve done like four 5K’s before!” Amateur.

So, I am feeling good today. Last day of the month. Last day of the quarter. The office is abuzz. Beautiful weather outside. Pay day. I am wearing a new outfit.

Could life be better?

4 comments:

Marcy said...

"Pay day. I am wearing a new outfit."

Nope, that about sums it up right there ;-)

Ahhhhh the joys of the dating scene. The good ones are few and far between, unfortunately. And always when you're not "looking" LOL

Great job getting the run in!! Good luck tomorrow on that 10 miler!

Mendy said...

Glad you're in great spirits!!! Love the positive attituded you have - I need to adopt it . :-)

Amanda said...

Hi Tiffany,

Lucky you! I wish I was going home again this year :) But my little sister and husband just moved to Houston and my parents are visiting for 3 weeks at Christmas, so we'll probably hold off on going back to Australia until 2009.

A week is going to be pretty short! Are you already travelling there for business? It would be better if you could go for two weeks, that will give you so much more time to see the country.

I'm guessing you will probably fly in to Sydney. If you've got a week to spend, I recommend spending at least 2-3 days in Sydney. I'm actually from Adelaide (about 3hr flight SW from Sydney) which has awesome wineries and beautiful beaches, but isn't your typical Australian tourist destination. But I have been to Sydney a couple of times in the last few years, mainly as an "add-on" when we go back to visit my family. The highlights of Sydney, for me, were catching the ferry to Manly beach and soaking up the atmosphere, eating fish and chips, drinking beer, etc. Also did a sunset cruise on the harbour which was awesome. We've stayed before at the former W at the "Wharf at Woolloomoolo" (yep, we have a lot of aboriginal place names!). That was pretty cool, although a little bit outside of the main city area. They had some great restaurants there though, and although we never checked out the nightlife there were apparently some great clubs in that area too. The bridge climb is a lot of fun - you can climb the Sydney Harbour bridge, it wasn't very strenuous (I know you're fit so that wouldn't matter anyway) but it was a cool way to see the city. There are some amazing restaurants - one that I remember was called "Rockpool" in "The Rocks" which is a historic area of Sydney located just under the harbour bridge. The shopping is awesome too, lots of great Australian designers, which no-one in Charleston will have except for you! I always love buying clothing from the places I visit :) Paddington is one of the best shopping areas in the city.

It would also be worth visiting the Blue Mountains - they're only a couple of hours outside of Sydney. I've never been there before as we've only ever spent a few days in Sydney, but they are supposed to be spectacular. There are a lot of touring companies that offer small, guided trips, whether it's hiking, spa, or winery tours.

Another place that has been getting a lot of press lately is Byron Bay. But it's about an 8-10hr drive north of Sydney (close to the Queensland border). It's a beach town with a really relaxed but upscale vibe to it. Surfer town meets artists meets high-end boutiques/food/accommodation. It's somewhere that I want to go next time we visit Australia.

Sorry I can't really help out that much, but to be honest I haven't seen all that much of Australia! Mostly Adelaide and bits and pieces of Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland and Tasmania. I do know that you will love Sydney and the whole beach culture, and I'm sure the Aussies will be thrilled to meet you!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Amanda

(Sorry couldn't send this privately, but I don't have your email address).

Tiffany said...

Wow Amanda, THANKS!!!!!!!!!