Saturday, December 02, 2006

Reindeer Run Recap

Ran the Reindeer Run this morning downtown... perfect running weather... high 50's, low 60's. Peeeeerfect. I started closer to the front of the pack after the start line debaucle at the Turkey Trot and having to run on the sidewalk. First mile- 8:08- VERY good (and fast) for me... until I stepped on one of those damn reflector thingys in the middle of the road and twisted my ankle. It hurt like hell for about 25 seconds and then I could not feel it. I finished up the race in 28:01- knocking another 17 seconds off my time but narrowly missing my goal of a sub-28 min 5K. Oh well... I avoided the post-race beer in lieu of stretching out and having breakfast with some gal pals. OK, that's a lie. I had 3... no 4... beers. My ankle really felt good then.

I get home and start moving my ankle around and it hurts like hell. I am going to ice it and hope for the best. I really need to get in my last long run tomorrow (10 miles) before my half marathon next week. I guess I am a little mad I ran this race today just for fun, knowing I should have knocked out my long run today. Tsk. Tsk.

I will admit- I am just feeling a little nervous about next week. I was supposed to run the half with my friend Edi- she ran Marine Corps a few weeks ago and is totally burnt out now. She had a couple nagging injuries and will still do the half- but not run the whole thing. I am determined the run the entire way... and will probably just find someone else to pace with... or it is just Me, My Running Shoes, My Garmin Geek O' Meter, and the MP3 player.

Well, no use in crying over a twisted ankle. I have a part-tay to hit tonight... one of my bestest friends kicked cancer's A$$ and we owe him a big celebration. Looooove his shirt :)

2 comments:

brownie said...

Cheyenne, Wyoming? I'm not the guy to ask about winter sports, unless it involves watching sports on TV and drinking beer.

MW said...

spotted your question on Rubber Legs' blog... Yes, we run the 3M Half marathon here in Austin. It's a well planned race, nice goodie bag(race packet) and it's super fast!
I can't wait to go for a PR!