Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Tiffany Epiphany

Very seldom do I have a full blown Tiffany Epiphany. Sure... I try to incorporate the world "epiphany" frequently into my daily conversations as it is the only word that truly rhymes with my first name... but this one was pretty big.

I have never really considered myself a runner. God did not mold me into a runner when he created me. I think he pictured me best as a basketball player, recreational volleyball player, perhaps even a competitive ping pong player. But a runner... no... no... no...

I run. I love to run. People seem astounded that I choose to run- without someone forcing me to do it or having to be chased by a wild bear or something. I run because (after 5 months) it feels good while I am running. It feels good after I run. I find my day goes by a lot better when I start it out with a run.

Truth be told.... I actually ran cross country for two years in high school. I ran because my high school basketball coach was also the cross country coach and it helped to keep me in shape in the off-season. I never thought I was a runner back then. My PR was a 17:47 4K (2.5 miles for you confused folks) and a 5K in just under 22 minutes. At the time, I was also running as the 5th runner on the Varsity Cross Country team as a freshman. I remember thinking I was so slow and I just looked so odd out there... never thinking I, Tiffany, was indeed a runner.

Fast forward 13 years (yeah, I am young OK?)

26 years old and I am celebrating like a madwoman running a 5K in 28 and a half minutes. I consider myself a runner now. It feels good to be part of a community of people that share this love, even though our paces are all over the chart. I have a pace chart hanging on my wall at work. I read it over and over and analyze my progress. I love my Garmin "geek-o-meter" (thanks, John). Somehow, I believe that ONE DAY I might actually run the Boston Marathon. I may have to wait until I am 70 years to qualify... but damnnit... I can do it. I don't mind almost permanently giving up my 2 AM Friday nights out... in lieu of an early (earlier) tuck-in for my long run in the morning. I don't worry about blowing off my run tonight to have a glass of wine tonight with friends because I know I will be back at it tomorrow.

Yes, I am a runner now. Guilty as charged... and I love it!!!

3 comments:

brownie said...

Good luck!

And the geek-o-meter didn't keep John F from getting lost on Pikes Peak!

JohnF said...

I think Brownie has me confused with someone else. I was not with the party that got lost that day.

Tiffany said...

Come on, boys. No squabbling on Tiffany's page. Sounds like you both need some help with directions though... hmmm