Sunday, November 26, 2006

SUNDAY- feels like homework day!

Let me start by getting something off my chest. I have not run since Thursday. OK? I ran the Turkey Trot 5K (read below if you need to fill in) and have come up with bad excuses to not run since then. After getting off my mid-day hangover from the beer truck, I took Friday to recover only to be persuaded into attending a tailgate party for the BIGGEST football game of the year- USC/Clemson. And I had post-Thanksgiving shopping, OK? Fast forward to Saturday. I had to recover from Friday and watch the game. And clean. OK, I never cleaned. But the Gamecocks did beat Clemson 31-28... so the day was not a total loss.

So, here I am. Sunday. I know I need to get my 11 miles in before the end of the weekend, preferable before 11:59 PM tonight. It is getting up to 71 degrees today here in Charleston- but it sure beats those hot summer nights... of running... :)

I feel better now.

Alrighty- back to normal.

So, I am on the prowl for some fun races to run in the spring. I am gonna shoot for a couple half marathons before taking on the full.

Here are some races on my radar- any feedback is most appreciated. Keep in mind, these are my criteria for picking races:

  • Flat course, preferably downhill
  • Fun people
  • Pre-race festivities
  • Flat
  • Post-race festivities
  • Flat
  • Not a lot of travel time to get to the start line
  • Not a lot of travel time to get to the post-race activities
  • Fun people

So- here they are....
  • Myrtle Beach half -it is close enough to home and FLAT
  • 3M half in Austin in Jan- this is starting to seem like a good plan. I can just tack onto a business trip in TX that week (because it is a small state, right?)
  • Yuengling Shamrock Run half on St. Pattys- VA Beach
  • ING GA Half Marathon- inaugural running- I think it is in March
  • KY Derby Festival half- it's in my hometown of Loooooouahvull

Off for my 11 miles... arrivederci!

4 comments:

JohnF said...

I cannot speak for the other races, but the 3M is nice and flat and overall slightly downhill. The race packet is stuffed with all sorts of freebies from 3M products. I have run it 3 or 4 times and it is where I PR'ed last year. Of course, if you come to Austin you'll need to look up your blogging buddys. Also, there might be a pub run in Austin the Thursday before the race if they keep doing that on the 4th Thursday of the month - I don't know if they have made the schedule that far out.

Tiffany said...

Yes, I am definitely in for the race! I can work my business travel around it and stay right downtown near the festivities!

I def want to catch up with the Austin Bloggin' crew while there... and raise a glass or two as well.

brownie said...

3M is a good run, I've done it two or three times. Plus the weather in Austin in January is usually pretty decent. Can't believe you get to drink Yuengling though, I'm jealous!

Mike said...

john is right. you would fit in on the pub run.

i've never run 3M before either but everyone friggin loves it. i'll be running it this year.