Friday, May 25, 2007

My first meeting with the CHS Running Club

So, I joined the Charleston Running Club at the beginning of the year with one main goal in mind- to gain access to the club tent after the bridge run to drink beer with my pals and bask in the beautiful April weather.

Check.

Well, I decided to be a good member and actually attend a meeting last night. I found it beyond amazing that I was in town for a meeting and able to go- so I had no excuse.

I walk into the meeting (being held in a bar) and realize this is going to be a little different than I had envisioned. 95% of the people there were men and the women there were all over the age of 50. I was instantly approached and introduced to a round of people, including some of the club officers. They mentioned a brief "presentation" which I only assumed might have something to do with training or nutrition or something. Wrong again. It was about the process of brewing beer.

The night was just beginning...

I had skipped dinner that night while at the office working late and started immediately taking advantage of the homebrew beer specials- drinking one right after the other while chatting with folks about running (imagine that!), the horrible weather at the Boston Marathon, and explaining why I had never come to a club event before. I met a couple gals- one of them in her early 70's with over 30 marathons under her belt. Another was mid 50's and about the same pace as me.... she routinely wins her division at local races. Was good to meet some possible training partners and talk about regular group runs.

By the end of the "meeting"- everyone was on their feet and I found myself leading the charge to the next bar. I met a slew of people at the next spot and proceeded to stay out til almost 1:00 AM- with a fuzzy head this morning. I 86ed my trip down to Hilton Head to visit my brother and his wife's family and took the day to recover.

Who knew running club would actually KEEP me from running?

Oh well... tomorrow morning's 6 mile run is calling my name :)

No comments: