Sunday, April 01, 2007

2007 Cooper River Bridge Run- My Race Report

Golly, what a wonderful Bridge Run weekend! I love the buzz around town while 40,000 people prepare to “GET OVER IT!” and celebrate together. The week leading up to the race was not the best for me, health-wise. I was still sniffing, coughing, and sneezing Saturday morning on the way to the race from my sinus infection and taking antibiotics. I had gotten minimal sleep the night before after my flight in from LaGuardia was delayed. I hadn’t run in over a week while sick so I decided to just take it easy at the Bridge Run and HAVE FUN. Luckily, I ran my sub-hour 10K a couple weeks ago (before getting sick) so I did not feel pressured to run all out.

The weather Saturday morning was pretty decent- 60’s, partly cloudy. The only crappy part was the humidity- blech. Welcome to Charleston! I lined up within my starting group and bam! We were off! Of course, there were slower runners and walkers that somehow thought it appropriate to start at the front so the first mile was spent dodging in and out of people and testing my agility. I finally decided to just give in and quit trying to dart in and out of people. I ran with a couple of my running partners and we had a blast- smiled for the cameras, laughed at the costumes, enjoyed the fanfare, and had a great time!!!

Running up the bridge is always more fun with thousands of people around you… it was clear which people did not save enough gas to get up the hill though- falling out and slowing to a jog or walk. Normally this would be OK but the run was so packed on the bridge that the people behind would trip over them. I stayed to the far left and just took the bridge at a steady pace. We finally got to the top around the 2.5 mile point and enjoyed the nice downhill before hitting the downtown streets. I was still feeling a little dehydrated from being sick so I gulped 3 or 4 cups of water once we got downhill and we had our first water station after Mile 1. Inevitably, I drank it too fast and got a cramp on my right side. Eeeekk! I kept trekking along and just decided to slow my pace and enjoy the crowds and other fun activities along the way. I even grabbed a beer at Mile 5 from some dude handing out Miller Genuine Draft.

The course was wonderful. The day was fantastic! I did not run a PR, finishing in 1:04. I had the best time ever at a race though! I guess I will blame my slower time on being sick and not feeling so hot but I am happy to take 10 minutes off my time from last year. The rest of the day was spent at the running club tent and local watering holes, enjoying some fine beer and good friends. I was sooooo excited to see the taped coverage of the bridge run on TV later and get the full effect of the event. I watched the Kenyans knock out the course in 28 minutes- wow!! I watched the throngs of people walk and run over my beloved bridge.

364 days til Bridge Run 2008!!!!

5 comments:

brownie said...

Woohoo! Great run, wanker!

aka Moogy said...

Snaps for Tiff! Great job. 8)
Typing w/ splints on my fingers bee-yotch!

Gagger said...

Way to battle through not feeling well. Good job!

Tiffany said...

I am attacking the bridge again tomorrow!!

Running score:
Tiff-1, Bridge-0

Lulu said...

Good job girl!