Sunday, January 28, 2007

3M ROCKS!!!!!!!

Woohoo!! 2:11:13!!

The race this morning was awesome. I felt great, I PRed and beat my Kiawah time by 7:27, and I like to think I even beat my unspoken goal of 2:10 if I hadn’t stop to use the restroom and had to wait for the port-a-pottie. Next time I will get it!

I loved the course- a nice break from the usual flat ass runs we are accustomed to in below-sea level Charleston. Of course, who could not love the course? There were a bunch of downhill sections and a couple little hilly sections thrown in (Yes, those were HILLS in my book!) I especially loved the last little uphill at mile 12.6 or so before we got to the finish straightaway. I knew this last section was coming (thanks to Wiley’s email last week about the course layout) and I totally kicked butt. I was passing people left and right as they were not prepared for it. A nice downhill finish too. Love it! And the 3M goody bags with all those fun office supplies- I could totally concoct a cool art project from all that schwag :)

This race felt ten gazillion times better than Kiawah, my first half marathon. I finished Kiawah in 2:18:40 on a flat course. I had not trained enough for it and just hoped to finish in one piece. Today, I felt strong. I felt happy. I felt like I was more in control of myself and my pace and everything around me. I hit no wall at mile 9 like I did at Kiawah and wanted to die. In fact, I maintained a steady pace throughout which was one of my goals after my yo-yo performance before. According to my Garmin, I maintained a 9:58 pace which mentally, makes me happy it is under 10:00 min/pace. I did a 10:35 min/pace at Kiawah this is a huge improvement.

Random fact- of the three South Carolinians that ran the race (yes, there were only 3 of us)... I placed second. Yahooo!!

A special THANK you to Jen aka Gagger... who found me all over the course and cheered me on with some colorful and entertaining signage.... and had a Gator Beer waiting for me at the finish line. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

I am just so happy. I seriously cannot WAIT til my next race!! Looks like my next one will be running the last leg of my relay team at Myrtle Beach on Feb 17th- my leg is 11.2 miles. Part of me really wants to push it a little bit and run the Hilton Head Half on Feb 10th…. Which I think it is totally doable after taking a weekend off of racing while I am skiing in Utah.

Why the hell not? After all, I am currently in third place in the Charleston Running Club points program for running the most races…

9 comments:

JohnF said...

The results showed your splits for the 1st and 2nd half at exactly the same pace. Perfect consistency.

You looked strong coming across the finish line. You rocked this course!

Barbara said...

It was an AWESOME race...did you guys take advantage of the free beer at NXNW later? Mmmmmmmm that was good too:)

Great Job!

PlaysByEar said...

WTG Tiff!

Kirk said...

Remember what Ricky Bobby says, :If you ain't first, you're last!!!"

Good job sweets!!!

Have a great week!!!

Kirk / NASCOCK

brownie said...

Hell yeah! Great job! You're a still a wus for not hashing after the race though...

Gagger said...

Congrats Chica! You totally rocked! And it was soooooo good to finally meet you. Had a blast with you on Sat and Sunday (even though I don't remember too much at Ginny's last night).

I'm sad to see you go. :(

Lulu said...

Excellent work out there. I'm sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on. We had on a minor emergency on the way to the race (think Coop + Hot Chocolate).

Very well done!

Catwoman said...

Awesome result. Keep it up!

Tiffany said...

WOW!!! Thank you so much for the nice comments everyone... you are AWESOME!!!