Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Relaxing on vacation... a little basketball commentary!

DISCLAIMER: the thoughts, opinions, and comments expressed by Tiffany are completely true and non-debatable. Therefore, if you have a problem with her and her opinions- go ahead and shove it because you are a total amateur with no idea what you are talking about. Have a nice day! :) (Go Tiff, Go Tiff... Go Go... Go Tiff!) Muwahahhahaaaa....

So, I was just taking a look at the clusterfuck that is the Top 25 for men’s college basketball and could not help but comment.

Seriously- Ohio St. is STILL overrated at #6 in the AP and USA Today polls. Am I the only person that thinks this? And I grew UP an Ohio St. fan (mostly football though- my dad would take me to all the home games up in Columbus). I thought they were overrated right from the get-go (coming out of the gate at #1? Riiiiight) when they dropped their first loss to UNC back in late November. Yeah, yeah… the “Thad Five” or whatever they are calling them… they got schlacked by Florida! 26 points? Eeeekkk… I might be eating my words come March… but come on.

Speaking of Florida- it was interesting to see them kill a ranked team by such a margin (even if it is Ohio St.) They started off the year with a very weak schedule up to this point and have done fairly well, with the exception of their narrow loss to Florida State. I don’t see them going all the way again this year. Just don’t.

Maaaann… Wichita State is hanging on… beating LSU and Syracuse… I would have surely wrote them off for a Cinderella holdover from March Madness! Now- SHOCKER- they have lost two in a row… Fortunately (or unfortunately) for them, the rest of their schedule includes mostly middle school rec-worthy teams.

Ooohhh- those North Carolina freshmen are tough. Yes, freshmen… Wright, Lawton, and Ellington. It is always interesting to see how freshmen react come tournament time though.

Butler? They would be better suited as a 13 seed somewhere- getting their ass kicked by some crappy 4 seed that should have been a 9 seed. They also are looking down the line at a very, very weak post-New Year schedule.

Still waiting to see how Pitt comes up against an actual Big East team. They snapped that 2 game losing streak with a 30 point cake walk… now is the time to step up though! They look good…

Clemson blows. It just burns me up to see them in the top 25 for ANYTHING. Grrrrr…

Feels kinda weird to not see Kentucky or Louisville anywhere in the polls. I won’t ever forget the infamous game- the Laetner jumpshot that ended UK’s dreams of a run at the title back in 1992…East Regionals in Philly… at least my mom allowed my bro and I to stay home from school the next day because we were all mourning the loss.

Ironically, most of my friends are scared of me come March Madness time. The night before the brackets are announced, I run to the store and buy a bunch of posterboard to make my own brackets, keeping one at home on the wall, one at the office, and a couple extra pieces for any screwups. I pour over the brackets and analyze my picks. After all, it is all done electronically and I need to keep face with all the loser dudes I work with that think they know the first thing about basketball. During the day games of Round 1 and 2, I am basically worthless at work. I get ESPN live streaming for the scores and sneak down to our employee cafeteria to watch the highlights and any close games. That is what the TVs are there for, right?

Basketball is in full swing- It is gonna be a good winter!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Big East is tough but Pitt will hold it's own.

Tiffany said...

Amen, brother! The Big East looks like THE conference this year. My SEC looks a little bleak and the ACC is dicier than usual. I can't wait to ride this one out and see what happens... looooooove it :)

I was just offered tickets to the South Carolina-Kansas game next Sunday in Columbia- might take them just to see Kansas. Don't think the Gamecocks could hold on... even though we ARE two time running NIT Champs. Hold on there!

MW said...

Kevin Durant ... Freshman of the Year.

Tiffany said...

Hey Mike- I can't fight with that... it looks like Durant will take it... esp after Greg Oden's late start after wrist surgery.