Thursday, December 28, 2006

My first run with the running group…

So, I took the sage advice of someone here in BlogLand and joined a running group here in Charleston. Boy, am I glad I did! I am starting to see that this is going to the best (and most enjoyable) way to improve my times and running.

Miles: 5.88
Time: 53:13
Weather: a chilly 58 degrees

I felt like it was the first day of school driving there to meet them at a local running shop. I had spoken with the gal that owns the shop earlier this week to introduce myself and inquire about the run. Apparently, there are all different types of groups that run throughout the week so I am planning on running with several different groups and hopefully (fingers crossed!!!) finding someone within my pace range to accompany me on my long runs over the next couple weeks- I am hoping to squeeze in some 10-14 mile runs in prep for 3M. I also have upped my weekly mileage goal to 25 miles.

I pull up to the store and see several people looming around- and they look like serious runners. I jump out of my car and introduce myself, wondering what I had got myself into. Everyone is super nice and seems happy to have a new face in the group. This particular group meets weekly for a 5-7 mile run. Perfect. They ran the bridge the last couple weeks- would I mind running through Mt. P and Old Village? Absolutely not! I had run the bridge earlier this week and usually try to mix it up.

We set off and I immediately realize they are running a tad faster than my usual 5K race pace- and we are scheduled to do around 6 miles. Plus (and this is something I am not used to), we keep the conversation flowing the entire time. I have to admit- running with a group is such a nice deviation from my lone runs. We talk about everything- races, work, the one gal that owns the running shop also is a running and biking coach. She tells us an inspirational story about a gal training for a marathon. The miles just seem to fly by, despite the fact that I am really pushing it past my normal pace…. And I feel surprisingly good!

We get to the 5 mile mark and I pick up the pace, even taking the lead. We run past one of my fav bars on Shem Creek and I jokingly say, "Are we not stopping for a beer?" They all laugh and ironically, the conversation turns to hashing. For several minutes, they start trading comments about what they’ve heard, the vicious rumors, what type of crazy people do it, how hashers drink during running, and they are a rowdy crew. One of them looks at me and says, "Tiffany, do you know what hashing is?" I couldn’t keep a straight face anymore- telling them about my hash experience out in Colorado. Several of them seemed interested in checking it out- possible recruits!

So, all in all- it was a great run. I will definitely be back next week (we are going to stick with Wed night runs in lieu of Thursdays next week) and think this will definitely help me!!

As a side note- Charleston's newest resident, Ms. Reese Witherspoon- is on TV now (or not- I don't know how things work in any other time zone besides mine) in Sweet Home Alabama, a cute (chick) flick. However, The Office is on at 8:30 PM tonight so that will definitely take priority!

5 comments:

Gagger said...

When do you come to Austin? We hash on Sunday afternoons!

Tiffany said...

Wooohoooo Austin!!! I will be there Jan 27-29 running 3M Half (it looked like you were doing that one on your race calendar?), possibly coming back on Feb 1-2 for 'smore sales meetings.

Kirk said...

Just tell them the truth, we're a "drinking club with a running problem..."

On-On
NASCOCK

Gagger said...

Ahhh. Well, I'm not running in that one. I have been a major slacker lately and am not ready for a 1/2 at the moment.

Tiffany said...

I think the word has leaked out about the hashers already :)